Adult passport renewals MUST be sent in by mail/courier or drop box if you can answer YES to all of the following:
- I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book by mail with my renewal application;
- I was at least 16 years old when my most recent passport book was issued;
- I was issued my most recent U.S. passport book less than 15 years ago;
- My most recent U.S. passport book has a validity of 10 years from issuance to expiration;
- My most recent U.S. passport book was issued in my current name (or I can document my name change by submitting marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order with my passport application);
- I currently reside in and/or have a valid mailing address in Spain or Andorra, and
- I am only applying for a passport book (I am not applying for a passport card).
If you can answer “yes” to all the previous statements, you must apply by mail.
If you answered “NO” to any of the above questions, please click here for instructions; your application will be on the DS-11 form and you must follow the same process as “first-time applicants.”
DO NOT MAIL YOUR APPLICATION TO THE UNITED STATES!
DO NOT SCHEDULE AN APPOINMENT FOR AN ADULT PASSPORT RENEWAL!
Step 1: Obtain one WHITE background color passport photo 2” x 2” (5 x 5 cm) taken within the past 6 months. The photo must show your full face looking forward, with a light, plain background, and no smile. You may not wear eyeglasses, sunglasses, hats, hair bands or anything on your head.
Step 2: Submit your most RECENT PASSPORT plus a PHOTOCOPY of the photo (biodata) page of the passport. Upon issuance of your new passport, we will cancel your old passport and return it to you.
Step 3: PAY the $130 passport application fee via the U.S. government’s secure payment site (Pay.gov). After successfully paying the fee, you must PRINT out the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email and include it in the package you send to the U.S. Embassy Madrid or the US Consulate General Barcelona.
Step 4: Include DHL Express label. We cannot process your passport without the DHL Express label.
Step 5: SIGN, DATE, AND COMPLETE the passport renewal form DS-82. This form is completed online, not handwritten (print one-sided pages only, complete barcode appearing in upper left-hand corner). Please be sure to complete all fields and include your Spanish telephone number, Social Security number, and emergency contact. You will not be charged when you select the service fee on this form.
Step 6: Send all the items listed above to either:
U.S. Embassy Madrid
U.S. Embassy Madrid
Calle Serrano 75
U.S. Consulate General Barcelona
Paseo Reina Elisenda, 23
For adult passport renewals only:
If you prefer to drop off your envelope with the application and supporting documents for adult passport renewal at the U.S. Embassy in Madrid or at the U.S. Consulate in Barcelona instead of mailing it, drop boxes are located inside the Embassy in Calle Serrano 75 and the Consulate in Paseo Reina Elisenda, 23. Applicants may drop off their adult passport renewal envelopes without an appointment Monday through Friday between 8:00 am and 11:00 am in Madrid and Monday through Friday between 04:00 pm and 05:00 pm in Barcelona, except on local and federal holidays (PDF 275K).
* If you are requesting a NAME CHANGE due to marriage, divorce, or court order, please include proof of your name change. Documents must be original with an English translation if applicable (ex. Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, Court Order)
Passport processing takes approximately 5-6 weeks. We will return your passport using the DHL Express label you enclosed.